Celebrate Summer with this burger cake.
Fresh fruit sandwiched between two giant cookies.
What could be better.
Nothing says back to school season better than a giant cake that looks like a hamburger…right? Ok, maybe not. Unless you’re playing another joke on the kids. Made from layers of fresh fruit sandwiched between two cashew chocolate chip cookies, this giant burger cake can still be a fun dessert to celebrate the end of Summer and the start of a new school year.
Dessert Burger 2.0
That’s right. Last year’s cookie is now a giant chocolate chip cookie burger cake.
IG Cookie Inspiration
The inspiration behind this cashew cookie came from fellow RD, Rachael over at Rachael’s Good Eats. In case you haven’t seen it, her Cashew Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet is a huge hit on social media. Rightfully so. This cookie is dairy, gluten, grain and refined sugar free and let me tell you it’s seriously amazing—in both taste and nutrition.
Rachael’s recipe also includes a helpful substitutions list. A few months ago, I was playing around with this recipe and completely missed the warning to follow the directions to a “T” for it to turn out right. Adding both baking soda and baking powder by mistake. Luckily they still came out delicious and led to the development of this recipe.
Burger Cake or Cookie…You Decide
This recipe can be made a few different ways…
If you want a Giant Cookie: Follow the recipe below
To make a Giant Cookie Cake Burger: Double the recipe to make two giant cookies (to sandwich with the fruit)
Regular Sized Cookies: Follow the recipe below to make the batter. Use a cookie scoop to divide the batter before baking at the same time and temperature. These can also be made into burgers.
Watch How To Make A Burger Cake
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup cashew butter
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips (or 2 tablespoons mini)
- 2 teaspoons sliced almonds
- 2 kiwis
- 1 apple
- 1" watermelon round
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the egg, oil, maple syrup, vanilla and cashew butter.
- Add the dry ingredients. Mix to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the cookie dough out onto the parchment paper. Spread to form a large circle (8" or the same diameter as the watermelon). Sprinkle sliced almonds over the top.
- Bake 20 minutes. Allow to cool before assembling the cake.
- To make the Burger Cake: Double the cookie recipe to make two "burger buns." Allow to cool before layering. Place one cookie upside down on the serving board. Layer with sliced kiwi, watermelon and mint. Top with the remaining cookie. Makes 8 slices.