A sweet and spicy Trader Joe’s inspired corn salad.
The warmer weather has me excited about all the spring and summer produce that is on its way. While fresh corn is still a few weeks away, the frozen corn in this salad will help hold you over until then.
This corn salad recipe is inspired by the Trader Joe’s Corn and Chile Tomato-less salsa. While picking up a jar from the shelf may be convenient for some, having a homemade option is just as good. Making it yourself means you have more control of the flavor and can adjust the ingredients to meet dietary restrictions or food preferences. Good news is that this quickly comes together out of ingredients that are easy to keep on hand. So this can be enjoyed any time of year.
There are many different ways to use this corn salad. Simply serve it as a side dish or treat it as a salsa —using it as a dip or as a layer of flavor in sandwiches, burgers or pasta salads.
See How Easy This Corn Salad Is
This recipe comes together in under 20 minutes. I don’t know about you but I can never spend that little time in a Trader Joes. (If you can please share your secrets) So it’s especially nice to know it really is easy to make homemade corn salad / salsa.
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1½-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- ⅔ cup chopped red peppers
- 3 cups frozen corn
- Combine onions and oil in a large frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes until translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Add mustard and coriander seeds. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in chipotle peppers, vinegar, maple syrup and water. Bring to a boil and reduce slightly before adding corn and red peppers. Mix to combine and heat thoroughly before serving.