A delicious new way to mix tahini sauce. This high fiber and gut friendly salad bowl adds the benefits of probiotics with a yogurt tahini salad dressing.
This months Recipe Redux is going on the defensive.
Since cold and flu season is upon us, we’re discussing an important player in maintaining a healthy immune system.
Good gut health.
Did you know that most of our immune system is in the gut? The community of microorganisms that live in the gastrointestinal track play an essential role in regulating immune homeostasis. A healthy immune system protects you from infections and illnesses. Defending your body against anything unfamiliar—including germs (bacteria, viruses) and parasites—that could make you sick.
Shop for Your Gut
Probiotics are the live bacteria that play a beneficial role to digestive health. If you’ve ever noticed a food label stating it contains “live active culture,” those are some of the good bacteria you want to be consuming. Examples of foods containing probiotics include:
Prebiotics are types of dietary fiber—our bodies cannot digest—that feed the bacteria in our gut instead, used as a food source for the probiotics. Examples of prebiotic foods include:
Go with Your Gut Yogurt Tahini Salad Dressing
There are many different ways to consume more of these gut friendly foods. When making tahini dressing at home a liquid is usually added to adjust the consistency. This version uses a combination of lemon juice and yogurt. Garlic, sauerkraut and other high fiber vegetables are also included for additional gut benefits.
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1½ tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups Trader Joe's Kohlrabi Salad Blend
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (12 pieces)
- 1 cup sliced red pepper (1 bell pepper)
- 1 cup beans (I used rice beans but cannellini would be fine too)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoon sauerkraut
- In a small bowl, stir together the dressing ingredients (tahini, yogurt, lemon juice garlic and salt) until smooth.
- Divide the remaining salad ingredients between two bowls. Pour over the dressing before serving.