A sweet and spicy veggie burger full of fresh corn and Summer squash.
This post is sponsored by Frontier Co-op. The content, photos, and opinions expressed are fully my own. Thanks to you, my readers, for supporting brands that make Perspective Portions possible.
When looking for healthy ways to add flavor to your plate, spices are your best friend. They add unique flavors to any dish—from sweet to savory. Since 1976, Frontier Co-op sources their spices from growers committed to quality, sustainability and ethical trade. Providing a wide selection of high quality spices that are non-gmo and free of ETO (ethylene oxide) a sterilizing chemical commonly used in the spice industry.
Spice Up Your Summer… with a Spicy Veggie Burger
Since we’re in the middle of Summer here, aka my favorite time to go food shopping, it’s time to #SpiceupSummer produce along with Frontier Co-op‘s #CookwithPurpose campaign. Using crushed red chili peppers adds the perfect amount of peppery heat to any dish. It can be used as an ingredient in cooking (grilled vegetables, sauces, meat) or sprinkled on top of cooked dishes to add some heat (eggs, pizza, pasta). More likely, it’s gonna be both!
We’re combining two summer favorites with this recipe—fresh produce and BBQ season—to create this Spicy Veggie Burger. These veggie burgers are made from yellow squash and fresh corn. Since the combination of sweet corn with spiciness is a favorite, red chili peppers are added for a little heat. To give these veggie burgers an extra kick, I mixed some more of the chili peppers into a yogurt sauce as well. If you’re not a huge fan of spicy foods, adjust the amounts used in these recipes according to your preference.
- 1½ cups cooked corn,
- divided (about 3 ears)
- 1½ cups chopped yellow zucchini
- (1 medium)
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- (2 pieces)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- ½ cup oats,
- 2 teaspoons crushed red chili peppers
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- For Serving: slider buns, Spicy Yogurt Sauce (recipe below) and toppings of choice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a blender, combine 1 cup of corn, zucchini, scallion, garlic, chives, ¼ cup oats and red pepper flakes. Blend until the mixture resembles a chunky guacamole. If possible, remove the blender blade. Otherwise transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in the remaining ½ cup corn, ¼ cup oats, breadcrumbs, salt, baking powder and egg.
- Use a ¼ cup measure to scoop the batter onto the sheet pan. Form the mixture into a circles and flatten to match the diameter of your slider buns. Mine were formed into 2.5" in diameter and .5" thick patties.
- Bake 30 minutes. Use a spatula to flip and cook an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Serve on slider buns with your favorite toppings.
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 teaspoons crushed red chili peppers
- 6 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients.