A protein packed green breakfast wrap.
Need some new breakfast ideas to kick off back-to school season? The Recipe Redux has you covered. For this month’s theme we’re getting ready to go back to school. Literally getting ready with my favorite part of the morning…breakfast. Putting together protein packed breakfast menus that will help your morning start off in the right direction.
A Breakfast Wrap
I’ve been a huge fan of breakfast sandwiches for a while now. This Mediterranean themed breakfast wrap is no exception. Full of green vegetables, hummus and halloumi it’s sure to become a new staple in the mornings. One serving of this breakfast sandwich contains 12 grams of protein + protein content of the wrap you choose. Here’s where picking out a high protein/fiber and whole grain option will do you best. It will help fuel your morning and keep you feeling satiated.
What is Halloumi?
Halloumi is a semi-hard, brined cheese made from a mixture of goat and sheep’s milk. It has a high melting point and can easily be fried or grilled and retain it’s shape.
A Faster Breakfast Wrap
Time Saving Cutting Routine
You’ll want the zucchini and halloumi cheese cut pretty thin for this dish. Both so that they’ll cook quickly and fit inside the wrap. I’ve shared how to thinly slice zucchini in the past, but we won’t need such thin pieces here. A hack for cutting perfect ¼” thick slices is to use an egg slicer. If the ingredient is soft enough it’ll cut right through. Otherwise it should leave enough of a mark to help guide you. Use a knife to finish cutting perfectly even pieces.
This recipe can easily come together in under 10 minutes. For an even faster morning routine, cook the vegetables and cheese the night before. Store them in the refrigerator and your breakfast prep is reduced to wrapping up all the ingredients.
Make Some Extra
This recipe only uses half a zucchini. Simply because I couldn’t fit any more inside the wraps. You might have better luck. Since these zucchini pieces are delicious (you’ll likely want to snack on a few while prepping) you won’t mind cooking the whole thing to have some extra pieces. If not, you can always wrap the raw zucchini and refrigerate for another recipe.
Some ideas on how to use the leftovers:
- ½ large zucchini
- 5 ounces halloumi cheese
- 2-3 scallions, cut into 3-4" pieces.
- 2 whole wheat wraps
- ¼ cup hummus (use your favorite flavor)
- 2 cups arugula
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Cut zucchini into approximately 2½" pieces. Lay the flat side on your cutting board and slice into ¼" thick pieces. Place a single layer of the zucchini into the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes before flipping to cook the other side. Allow some color to develop before transferring to a plate lined with a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining zucchini.
- Slice the cheese into ¼" thick pieces. Lower the heat to medium and cook the halloumi for 1-2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the scallions to the pan. Allow to wilt for 1-2 minutes, removing them as necessary (the bottom white section will take longer to wilt.)
- Assembly Time: Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus onto each wrap. Layer with arugula, zucchini, scallion, and halloumi cheese. Fold in the sides and roll from the bottom to the top. Wrap in parchment paper/saran wrap to secure.