Enjoy taco Tuesday with this passion fruit salsa topped fish taco.
What better way to come back from a 3 day weekend than with a taco Tuesday recipe. That is unless you’re off the entire Presidents week (I ♥ NY). This month’s Recipe Redux theme is to create a healthy take on a taco. I’ll admit it, taco Tuesday hasn’t really been my thing—for no real reason, other than I just don’t think of it when meal planning—but after making this fish taco I’m already reconsidering that.
Layered between roasted red cabbage and a passion fruit salsa, these tilapia fish tacos are crunchy and packed with a strong citrus punch. If you’re having a hard time including seafood into your diet try pairing it with this lime and passion fruit salsa, which helps mask the taste of the fish. Plus this recipe is incredibly simple to pull together in under 30 minutes. Cook everything on a single sheet pan, mix the salsa in the meantime and assemble it all at the table. Perfect for a family style dining experience.
Sure, you can open a bag of shredded cabbage to sprinkle on your taco. However, I had to try this Roasted Purple Cabbage recipe. Roasting the cabbage takes away some of its bitterness, leaving a sweet and still crunchy bite. Plus it adds beautiful color to any dish. And, if you’re like me and too lazy to pick up tortillas, cut your favorite wraps into circles to use as a taco shell.
- 4 cups chopped red cabbage (1 small head)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tilapia fillets (1 pound)
- salt + pepper + paprika
- 1 passion fruit
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 lime
- tortillas (4.5 inch diameter)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the red cabbage onto the sheet pan. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper (to taste), mixing to coat evenly. Spread the cabbage to the sides of the pan, making room in the center for the fish. Add tilapia, season with pepper and paprika. Cook for 20-25 minutes until fish flakes with a fork.
- Cut passion fruit in half. Scoop the flesh into a small bowl. Mix in the cucumber, red onion and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- To Serve: Fill tortillas with cabbage and flaked fish. Top with passion fruit salsa.
In case it isn’t Tuesday, save this fish taco recipe for another week.