Cottage cheese crisps are a healthier alternative to a bag of chips.
When it’s the first week in January resolutions are likely on the mind. But, it’s also the beginning of award show season and there are still sport games playing over the weekend. That means you might be sitting and watching television for long chunks of time. Just when planning a lifestyle change. Best to make small achievable changes, like swapping high fat snacks with more nutritious options. Luckily we can improve on a popular viewing/party snack, potato chips.
Thin Cheese Crisps
I’ve shared another chip hack in the past. But, this one may be a first. These are made out of cheese, unlike a crispy piece of hard cheese you may have had before. This version is made from cottage cheese. When cooked, this soft chunky cheese transforms into a thin crispy chip. Low in fat/carbohydrates and higher in protein compared to traditional potato chips. Making these a healthy chips choice. Mix in different combinations of spices to customize their flavor.
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese (Trader Joes)
- ¼ teaspoon each: pepper, ground garlic, onion powder
- In a small bowl mix the cottage cheese with the spices.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop ½ teaspoon of the cottage cheese mixture into the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Once the cheese has stopped bubbling, the surface is dry and is starting to brown, use a rubber spatula to lift the edges from the pan. Carefully peel the chip away from the pan. Flip and cook an additional 20-30 seconds. Repeat with remaining batter. Make sure to leave space when dropping in the cottage cheese, as these spread. Makes: ~90 chips
Can I Make these Cheese Crisps in Advance?
Yes, these cottage cheese chips can be made up to 3 days in advance. Keep them refrigerated in an airtight container. Add a piece of bread to help them stay fresh. Chips may soften a bit but should still have a crunch. They can also be heated before serving: place chips on a sheet pan. Heat in a 350° preheated oven for 3-5 minutes. Watch them carefully to make sure they do not burn.
This post includes Amazon Affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product by clicking on the link, I get a small portion of the proceeds. Your price does not change. Thank you for supporting products that help support Perspective Portions.